OUR TEAM — Louis E. Conrad II, CFA®, President
Lou is a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA®) and received an MBA from The University of Chicago. He has extensive experience managing money, including managing a top performing mutual fund, and providing wealth advisory services. He has consulted with individuals and families, as well as corporate pension and 401(k) plans. Lou has been named a multi-year recipient of the Five Star Wealth Manager ℠ award as announced in Boston magazine.
MUTUAL FUND MANAGEMENT
- Lou previously managed the Sentinel Emerging Growth mutual fund (now called Touchstone Small Company). The fund’s performance won accolades under Lou’s stewardship and was cited as a “1994 Winner” in Money, a “Top Aggressive Growth Fund” in Financial Planning, and among the “Top 25 Growth Funds” in Investor’s Business Daily.
- Lou also co-managed more than $300 million in institutional growth portfolios, analyzed stocks in the food and beverage, household product, and auto-related industries, and co-developed and co-managed a mid-cap fund for Shawmut National (now part of Bank of America).
- For Fidelity Management & Research Company (Fidelity Investments), Lou served as the Director of Fund Analysis and Research. Lou managed a group of analysts and performed analysis on many of Fidelity’s largest mutual funds. He also wrote white papers to support new product launches.
- As an Investment Consultant for CIGNA’s Retirement & Investment Services division, Lou consulted with corporate clients across the eastern half of the United States on their pension and 401(k) plans. He advised on asset allocation strategies, as well as evaluated and recommended mutual funds.
- Lou created and managed the investment advisory units for two of the largest financial planning firms in the Boston area. Lou was the Chief Investment Officer and co-founder of one of the companies, a financial planning affiliate of an international law firm.
- For the other Boston area company, a public accounting and consulting firm, Lou was the Director of Investment Advisory Services. At both firms, Lou was responsible for evaluating and selecting the mutual funds and investment managers that were recommended to clients.
Lou's academic credentials and professional affiliations are equally impressive. He received an MBA in finance from The University of Chicago, one of the nation's premier MBA programs. Lou also obtained a BS magna cum laude from Northeastern University. He is a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA®) and a member of the CFA Institute, CFA Society Boston, and the Boston Estate Planning Council. Lou has completed course work in Boston University's Program for Financial Planners and successfully completed Ibbotson Associates' Advanced Asset Allocation Workshop.
Lou was a member of Fidelity Institutional Wealth Services’ Advisor Council, as well as Putnam Investments’ Advisory Council, both comprised of a select group of advisors who provide feedback to these leading companies on their current and contemplated products and services. From 2007 – 2009, Lou served as Boston Chapter President of the American Association of Individual Investors (AAII), a nonprofit organization devoted to the education of investors. He now serves AAII as a member of its national speakers bureau and is a past moderator of the Boston Chapter’s Mutual Fund Special Interest Group.
Lou frequently speaks to professional and community groups and has taught financial planning courses in Salem State University's Community Enrichment Program. He has had investment articles published, has appeared on television, and has been quoted in TheStreet.com.
Between 2014 and 2020, Lou was a member of the Board of Directors for Minuteman Senior Services, Inc., a nonprofit organization based in Bedford, MA, that is dedicated to assisting seniors and people with disabilities live in the setting of their choice. He also served on its Executive and Finance Committees, as well as acted as the Treasurer. From 1997 – 2009, Lou was on the Board of Directors for Cooperative Elder Services, a nonprofit daycare program for seniors. He was also the Treasurer and served on the Finance Committee.